Saturday, December 26, 2015

No Music, No Life

Music is an important element of my life. And I believe it is to you too. When I feel tired, I listen to my favorite music, and beautiful melody gently touches my nerves that are aroused from the hustle and bustle of the busy day.

Year 2015 is almost over. I believe many of you are on winter break. I am too. I was putting my legs up and watching TV in the living room when pianist Mr. Nobuyuki Tujii's program was on. I watched it. And I was moved. He completely swept me off my feet.

He played Piano Concerto No. 3 by Sergey Prokofiev. The music is characterized with dynamic pitch movement, and fast note movement. At a point it made me visualize a wide sunset view of no hope during the time of World War in the first half of the 20th century.

The Concerto also involves highly difficult finger movements that command extreme dexterity, reminiscent of Franz Liszt. But Mr. Tsujii played it like a small child would handle his familiar toy.
His performance was a sheer amazement. He was as accurate as Terminator. But yet he was completely one with the dynamic emotional flow of the music. His professional accuracy drew out the best out of the Vienna Philharmonic. In fact, the orchestra appeared a bit nervous, though obviously they enjoyed performing with the genius pianist. I presume it was because his level of professional accomplishment was so high that they felt pressured to be the best they could be in order to match his level. I feel very proud that someone from my own country commands a huge respect from such a prestigious orchestra.

No comments:

Post a Comment