Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Uncle Pete's Pumpkin Farm

Apr. 21, 2022

I read an article about a pumpkin farm. According to the article, Uncle Pete's Pumpkin Farm, though closed temporarily due to the Covid-19 pandemic, will be back in business in October. Though location is not provided (because it is a fictional article in a textbook), it is presumably somewhere in the US that is well-known for pumpkin production.

Anyhow, not only will pumpkin fans be able to wander the farm to choose their favorite pumpkin to eat and decorate the porch, but they will also be able to enjoy various food and drinks such as pumpkin lattes, pumpkin cookies, and even pumpkin beer!

Infection preventive measures are taken throughout the farm such as availability of hand sanitizer equipment, observation of social distancing, and encouragement, but not obligation of, masks.

The farm will be open daily from 10:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m., but will close in the event of heavy rain. 

The article reminded me of a good friend of mine who is a farmer. He is famous for using this technology called iMec to produce tomatoes. He was once featured in a TV program. People visit his farm from abroad to learn about the technology. 

Not only is he interested in producing quality tomatoes, though, he is also interested in sharing the joy of picking fresh veggies. Last time I talked to him some years ago, I told me about his plan of making a farmland where families could enjoy hands-on experience of farming. I thought it's pretty cool.

Then the pandemic sets in, and I haven't been in such close contact with him as before now, so I'm not sure what has become of this project. But next time I talk to him, I would like to follow up on it. 

I have already been lucky enough to visit some of his farms to help with harvesting. I harvested corn, broad beans, potatoes, melons, and so on. It's lots of fun. Everything tastes insanely good after a few hours of farm work. I think it would be great if there is a place people have easy access to where they can be freed from the stress of daily desk work to stretch their arms and legs fully to engage in activities so essential to living such as picking food as well as helping grow vegetables.  

No comments:

Post a Comment